At least two fire appliances were on scene to help put the vehicle out. *Photo by Melissa Botelho
At least two fire appliances were on scene to help put the vehicle out. *Photo by Melissa Botelho
A vehicle caught fire on North Shore Road shortly before 9am Sunday.

At least two appliances from the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service were on hand to help put the blaze out.

Several neighbours reported the vehicle was a prison van and that the driver and the prisoners got out safely. One witness said there were five or six prisoners "They looked like they were in shock."

"The truck just exploded. You could hear it reverberating off the rock face."

Bermuda Police Service released the following:

"Around 8:55am Sunday, February 2nd first responders were dispatched to a reported vehicle fire along North Shore Road in Smith's parish near Bethel AME Church.

Details are limited at this time; however there were no reported injuries and the fire has since been extinguished by the Bermuda Fire & Rescue Service.

Traffic traveling in that area is being diverted on to Harrington Sound Road until further notice. Inquiries into this incident are underway."

Press Statement, Monday 3rd February:


On Sunday February 2nd, 2014, the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to a vehicle fire on North Shore Road, Smiths.  Fire Service spokesperson Leonard Davis stated that “the Fire Service responded to the mentioned incident with two vehicles staffed with six personnel. Upon their arrival, the duty crew found a large vehicle fully involved in fire with smaller fires several feet away from where the vehicle was burning.”  “Two firefighters dressed in self-contained breathing apparatus equipped with a 1 ½” hose line began to extinguish the vehicle fire.  A booster reel was simultaneously deployed to aid in extinguishing the isolated fires.”   During questioning, it was determined that the vehicle was a Prison Service vehicle which had approximately six people inside it when it initially began to smoke.  The individuals all exited the vehicle safely before the fire began to burn out of control.  A fire investigator was called to the scene to help determine the cause of the fire.  The fire is still currently under investigation.