O'Brien axed by Bermuda, Logie comments
Friday, October 13, 2006 4:31 PM
Controversial pace bowler George O'Brien has been axed from Bermuda's cricket squad because of 'poor effort'.
The St David's seamer - one of the most naturally gifted bowlers on the island - was given the chop by the BCB because of concerns about his attitude and commitment.
O'Brien had already been left out of the touring party to travel to Africa next month.
The reason given was a hamstring injury but there were murmurings of discontent about O'Brien's lack of effort to get himself fit for the tour.
The young star, Bermuda's leading wicket-taker in the Americas' Championship, was already on probation after not turning up to a training session at the Stanford 20/20 in Antigua in the summer.
And his attitude since the squad turned full-time appears to have been the final straw.
A brief statement on Friday afternoon read:
"The BCB wishes to announce that in breech of the probationary conditions set out on July 12th 2006 that Mr. George O'Brien has been removed from the National Squad as of today.
"Due to continued poor effort and lack of quality or commitment in training the BCB has no other choice but to terminate Mr. O'Brien's contract."
National coach Gus Logie described the situation as 'unfortunate' but he said there was only so much leeway that could be given to any player - regardless of talent.
The decision was ultimately taken by the board, which pay O'Brien's wages, but it was based on reports from Logie and his coaching team about player attendances and performances.
He said the problems with O'Brien were a mixture of him not turning up for training sessions and not putting in the yards at the training sessions he did turn up for.
"I see him as a feel good player, if he feels good today he is fine, if he doesn't feel good tomorrow it will be different.
"The board felt that he had been given plenty of opportunities to mend his ways in terms of approach and attitude."
Logie said that as far as he was concerned the door was never fully closed.
"I'm hearing, like yourself, that he is out of the squad but I hope there is always an opportunity for someone like that to come back in, hopefully having shown that they can abide by the rules."
But the Bermuda Sun understands that O'Brien was already on a final warning from the BCB and the board would now be unwilling to consider him for selection for the World Cup.
Logie added that he hoped the situation would not adversely affect the rest of the squad as they prepare to tour Africa.
And he said he was confident that the players would be professional and move forward.
The selectors will meet to discuss whether to draft in a replacement for O'Brein to the training squad.
O'Brien has been offered the opportunity to explain his version of events by the Bermuda Sun. That offer remains open.